It’s hard to believe another year is coming to a close, and with it will be a barrage of lists that celebrate the best and the worst of the past year. For me, though, I always like to look forward, so this list will focus on the best of what’s to come. Here is my list of the top 10 must-do in travel for 2016.
10. Visit the beach. There is something so serene, so fulfilling and so rejuvenating about the ocean. I’m refreshed every time I catch its wonder. Don’t let 2016 pass without giving it a glance.
9. Get cultured. There is so much value, for children and adults alike, in learning while traveling. Visit at least one attraction each trip that can teach you a bit about our nation’s history. In Myrtle Beach, my favorites are former plantation sites Brookgreen Gardens and Hopsewee.
8. Try a new dish. You can’t really get a feel for a place without trying the locals’ favorite dishes. From SheCrab Soup to Chicken Bog, we’ve got plenty to choose from around here. Wherever you go, make sure you ask a local what they love and give your palate a jolt of new flavors.
7. Feel an adrenaline rush. I like to get my heart pumping when I travel and right here in Myrtle Beach we have a few great experiences to do just that, from driving a NASCAR racecar to being flung into the air in the slingshot to chasing down dolphins in the ocean.
6. Visit a national or state park. The National Parks Service will celebrate its centennial in 2016. In honor of this occasion, make some time on your next vacation to visit either a national or state park. We have two amazing parks in the Myrtle Beach State Park and Huntington Beach State Park that I always recommend.
5. Get your groove on. Learning a local dance can be a fun way to immerse yourself in a culture and get to know some locals. In Myrtle Beach we are known for the shag, with the city of North Myrtle Beach peppered with bars that feature the dance (and even have free lessons on designated evenings).
4. See some local art. Visiting museums in major cities such as New York and Los Angeles is always impressive, but sometimes the smaller galleries with local artists can be just as memorable. The Myrtle Beach Art Museum, for example, offers a host of local artists, impressive rotating displays and even activities for the kids, and it’s free and open to the public. Can’t beat that!
3. Hit a local event. Every city across the country has at least one event the locals live for. If you time your trip right, you too can get that unique experience that comes around just once a year. Here in the Myrtle Beach area, the Murrells Inlet boat show on the 4th of July is always a crowd pleaser. If you’re more musically inclined, the second annual Carolina Country Music Festival in June may be up your alley.
2. Get outside. Wherever you go in 2016, enjoy the beauty of nature. From lakes to mountains, oceans to streams, there’s never a shortage of flora and fauna to be discovered.
1. Unplug. Make a commitment to disconnect from work while you’re away this year. Enjoy your surroundings along with your family and friends. Travel is meant to enrich us and connect us. Let it do its thing.