One of my absolute favorite things about living in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, is the ready access to fresh, local seafood. There is so much to love about a meal that is sustainably sourced by local fishermen.
Shrimp is probably the most-loved seafood item in all of the United States, and here in South Carolina, we serve up some of the best. From shrimp and grits to a Lowcountry Boil, the recipes are endless, but one of my favorite summer recipes is a Lowcountry Shrimp Salad. It’s light and refreshing, perfect for a picnic on a hot summer day.
Lowcountry Shrimp Salad
1.5 lb. cooked South Carolina shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 stalks celery, diced
1/4 cup sweet Vidalia onion, diced
1/4 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh black pepper
Bibb lettuce (for serving)
- Prep ingredients. Dice celery and onion. Chop dill and juice lemon.
- Cut up shrimp into bite size pieces. Place in medium size bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients to separate bowl and stir to combine.
- Add shrimp to bowl with mayo mixture and combine without over mixing.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or overnight to bring out more flavor. Serve on Bibb lettuce.