A gal-pal getaway in Myrtle Beach is the perfect way to celebrate!
First thing’s first: what the heck is “Galentine’s Day,” anyway? Well, it’s a pseudo-holiday created by fictional TV character Leslie Knope on Parks and Recreation. This “holiday” started in 2010 on an episode appropriately called “Galentine’s Day,” in which Leslie gathered her girlfriends on February 13 to celebrate friendship and brunch with waffles. According to Amy Poehler’s character, it’s “ladies celebrating ladies.”
This celebration of female friends has evolved from the original waffle brunch to include pretty much anything you’d like to do to enjoy time with your closest gal-pals! After all, romances may come and go, but when you find a true connection with a fellow goddess you hang on to them, and that’s worth celebrating!
The Myrtle Beach area, with its 60 miles of beautiful coastline, amazing attractions, live theaters, eco-tours, nightlife, shopping, golf, and countless culinary delights, is the perfect place to celebrate Galentine’s Day!
So, you have the location, but what should you actually DO? If you can’t decide, here are some ideas:
Stick with the original concept and eat waffles! Brunch is always nice, and it can be magnificent to share a morning with great friends! Breakfast/brunch restaurants are all over the Myrtle Beach area, but you can take girl power to the next level and choose a female-owned restaurant. Two dynamic local women own amazing restaurants that serve amazing waffles!
- Owned by chef Jamie Saunders, Johnny D’s Waffles serves up an amazing variety of homemade Belgian waffles, including their famous red velvet waffle. There are other delicious things on the menu to enjoy as well!
- There are two locations of Croissants Bistro & Bakery in Myrtle Beach, and both serve a tasty chicken and waffles dish along with other delectable items. For 22 years, owner Heidi Vukov has led the way in culinary excellence, and she was named a 2018 chef ambassador for the state of South Carolina.
Wine tasting is the quintessential girlfriend activity! North Myrtle Beach has two fine options:
- La Belle Amie Winery – Owned and operated by Vicki Weigle, this winery is home to the Twisted Sisters brand. Guests can stroll through the vineyard or kick back in a rocking chair on the front porch, enjoying the tranquility of the farm.
- Duplin Winery - Located right near Barefoot Landing in N Myrtle Beach, stop and enjoy sweet regional wines in a great setting.
Take A Hike
Meet up with Ranger Ann Wilson! This tenacious female ranger has dedicated her career to developing and teaching a diverse list of programs at Myrtle Beach State Park, where visitors can bask in Mother Nature’s finest handiwork from beautiful beaches and towering trees to endless marshes.
Eat A Fine Meal In A Great Setting
The Myrtle Beach area has many wonderful restaurants, but in sticking to the woman-owned theme, we recommend Hook & Barrel! Owned by Heidi Vukov, this is a sustainable restaurant with a nice bar and a great happy hour! Heidi believes in sourcing local ingredients, from locally grown produce to locally caught seafood, and she is paving the way to emphasize sustainability as part of the future of food. You won’t be disappointed.
Because it’s always fun to go shopping and/or exchange gifts! Lucky for you, the Myrtle Beach area has excellent shopping opportunities! As a bonus, most are in areas where you can find dining and entertainment. Try some of these:
- Barefoot Landing - Shop, dine and unwind at this beautiful complex along the Intracoastal Waterway in North Myrtle Beach.
- Broadway at the Beach - A 350-acre entertainment, dining, and shopping complex in Myrtle Beach.
- The Market Common - Myrtle Beach’s “uptown downtown!” Great shops and dining.
- Gay Dolphin Gift Shop - Founded on the Boardwalk in 1946, this is the largest gift shop in the area.
- Tanger Outlet Centers - Two locations, dozens of name brand stores.
- Burseth Farm - For homemade soaps, scrubs, essential oils and more. Located in the Market Common.
- Hammock Shops - Unique shops and restaurants in “arrogantly shabby” Pawleys’ Island.
Stay Awhile & Relax
Several Myrtle Beach Area resorts are offering discounts for ladies to get the best bang for their buck, such as:
- Beach Cove Resort – this oceanfront resort provides guests with a tropical paradise setting with plenty of amenities, including on-site dining and 10 water features. Beach Cove is offering girlfriend getaway savings of up to 39 percent off.
- Bay View on the Boardwalk – Conveniently located on the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk, Bay View provides modern accommodations and amenities such as a lazy river. Bay View is offering up to 35 percent off an entire stay.
- Beach Colony Resort – Amenities at this oceanfront resort include an oceanfront pool deck amongst a lush landscaped lawn. Beach Colony Resort is offering girlfriend getaway savings of up to 35 percent off, plus various discounts at area restaurants, shopping, shows and more.
You’ll find many other exciting things to do in Myrtle Beach at VisitMyrtleBeach.com. So, get your best friends together and start planning now. Because as Leslie Knope once said, “It's only the best day of the year!” And, you know--she was right.